Acronis True Image for Western Digital is an integrated software suite that ensures the security of all of the information on your PC. It can back up your documents, photos, email, and selected partitions, and even the entire disk drive, including operating system, applications, settings, and all of your data. Acronis True Image for Western Digital is a Shareware software in the category Miscellaneous developed by Acronis. It was checked for updates 63 times by the users of our client application UpdateStar during the last month. The latest version of Acronis True Image for Western Digital is currently unknown.
Acronis True Image: clone to SSD
It is a good idea to clone the current drive to an SSD, whether you want to upgrade to a larger drive or get a better performance. Since Windows doesn’t offer any built-in tools for disk clone, users can only use some third-party programs like Acronis True Image.
Acronis True Image is an integrated application that enables you to clone basic drives (both MBR and GPT) to other drives, even if the target drive is of a different capacity. For Acronis True Image 2017 or earlier, the cloning should be done from Acronis bootable media.
However, since Acronis True Image 2018, you can clone directly without a bootable media. In addition to disk clone, this program also features with disk backup, partition backup, and disk restore, etc. And its latest version is Acronis True Image 2020.
How to use Acronis True Image 2019 to clone to SSD?
Here takes Acronis True Image 2019 clone to SSD for example. Now, you can follow these steps.
Step 1. Connect the SSD to your computer. Make sure it can be detected. Launch this program to click Tools and Clone Disk subsequently.
Step 2. Choose whether to use Automatic (recommended) or Manual transfer mode. Then click Next.
* Automatic: the partitions will be proportionally resized to fit your target drive.
* Manual: change the disk partition layout as you wish.
Step 3. Select the drive that you want to clone. Then click Next.
Step 4. Select the SSD as the destination drive and then click Next.
Step 5. Specify files and folders that you don't want to clone on the What to exclude step.
Step 6. On the Finish step, ensure that the configured settings suit your needs. Then click Proceed.
Step 7. Wait for the process to be completed. Then this program will inform you of the next steps to take.
✍This program cannot be used to clone dynamic disks.
✍Note that the cloned drive will not have a letter within Windows. Once you boot a new device from this drive, a letter will be assigned automatically.
✍Ensure that the target drive has enough capacity to fit the contents of the source drive, when using Acronis True Image clone to smaller SSD.
Although you can use Acronis True Image clone HDD to SSD, you may meet many issues during the operation, such as Acronis True Image will not clone, Acronis True Image cannot find hard drive, Acronis clone disk operation failed and so on. If you want a reliable and flexible tool to clone your hard drive to an SSD, you’d better turn to an Acronis True Image alternative.
Best alternative to Acronis True Image - AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Professional is a hard drive cloning software similar to Acronis True Image, but with more features. It allows you to clone basic drives or dynamic drives to internal/external hard drives in a few simple clicks. Its stability enables it to run smoothly on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. AOMEI Backupper allows you to do the following clone operations:
Clone hard drive to larger one (HDD or SSD).
Clone HDD to smaller SSD as long as the capacity of the smaller SSD will store all the data from source disk.
Clone disk to skip bad sectors with Intelligent Clone Mode (default mode), which means only used sectors on the selected hard drive will be copied to the target drive.
Clone disk with bad sectors by Sector by sector clone mode, and all sectors on the source drive will be cloned to the target drive.
Migrate Windows 7/8/10 OS to SSD without reinstalling.
Besides, it is capable to improve the working performance of your SSD. Let’s see how it works.
Safely Clone HDD to SSD with Simple Steps
Before you clone:
You’d better backup files to external hard drive in advance if you have stored some important files on the SSD. Because the disk cloning process will overwrite the target drive.
Connect the SSD with your computer via SATA-to-USB cable or SATA power cable, and make sure it can be detected..
Download AOMEI Backupper Professional 30 day trial on your Windows computer and have a shot.
Step 1. Install and launch the disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper. Select Clone from the left pane. Then click Disk Clone.
Step 2. Select the drive that you wish to clone (here is Disk 0). Then click Next.
Step 3. Select the SSD as the destination drive (Disk 2). Then click Next.
Step 4. Here you can have an Operation Summary. Tick SSD Alignment to accelerate the reading and writing speed of the SSD. Then click Start Clone.
✍Edit partitions: click it to resize partitions on the target drive. Three options are supported: Copy without resizing partitions, Add unused space to all partitions and Manually adjust partition size.
✍Sector by sector clone: as mentioned above, you could clone all the sectors on the source disk whether it is in used, blank, or even bad sectors, will be transferred to the destination.
✍After cloning, the source drive will not be wiped out. You can keep it as a backup or reformat the hard drive for other purposes.
Step 5. Boot from the cloned SSD: Restart your computer and press a certain key (F2, F10, F12, DEL or ESC Key, etc.) to enter BIOS, Then change the boot order inside the BIOS and boot from the cloned SSD.
For laptop or desktop that only one hard drive slot, shutdown your computer and remove the battery, use screwdrivers to replace old hard drive (HDD) with the cloned SSD, then boot the computer up.
In this article, you have learned how to use Acronis True Image to clone to SSD. However, if you need a more reliable and flexible way to clone your hard drive, AOMEI Backupper Professional could be your best choice. It has simple operation steps and comprehensive features.
AOMEI Backupper not only a disk cloning software but also a powerful Windows backup and restore software, which allows you to backup disk, operating system, partitions to safe location, restore to dissimilar hardware computer, command line utility to clone/backup/restore, delete old backup images, etc. For who is running Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019 (including R2), SBS 2003, 2008, 2011, please try AOMEI Backupper Server to enjoy.
In rare cases you may encounter an issue during the installation of Acronis True Image. Here are quick solutions for known issues:
If you are facing another issue with the installation, please follow the instructions below to determine the root cause of the issue and to solve the problem.
Follow step-by-step instructions below to troubleshoot the issue. Complete the prerequisites step before proceeding to the error troubleshooting step.
- Make sure the operating system is supported:
Acronis True Image 2021: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2020: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2019: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2018: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2017: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2016: Supported Operating Systems
Acronis True Image 2015: Supported Operating Systems
- Make sure your machine meets the hardware requirements:
see Acronis True Image 2021: System requirements
see Acronis True Image 2020: System requirements
see Acronis True Image 2019: System requirements
see Acronis True Image 2018: System requirements
see Acronis True Image 2017: System requirements and supported media
see Acronis True Image 2016: System requirements and supported media
see Acronis True Image 2015: System requirements and supported media
- Temporarily turn off your antivirus and antimalware applications.
Follow the correct installation procedure depending on your installation method:
- Acronis True Image 2021: How to install
Acronis True Image 2020: How to install
Acronis True Image 2019: How to install
Acronis True Image 2018: How to install
Acronis True Image 2017: Installation
Acronis True Image 2016: Installation
Acronis True Image 2015: Installation
Each time you start the program, Acronis True Image checks whether a new version of the software is available on the Acronis website. If so, the software provides a link for downloading a setup program of the new version.
To check for updates manually, start the program and then click Account (or Help in older versions) > Check for updates. Here you can also disable the automatic checks for updates.
To update Acronis True Image:
- Run the setup program of the updated version of Acronis True Image.
- Click Update.
- If prompted, specify the license keys.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Follow these instructions to uninstall Acronis True Image:
- Select Start -> Settings -> Control panel -> Add or remove programs -> select Acronis True Image -> Remove. Then follow the instructions on the screen.
- If you use Windows 7, select Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Acronis True Image -> Uninstall. Then follow the instructions on the screen. You may have to reboot your computer afterwards to complete the task.
- If you use Windows 8, click the Settings icon, then select Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Acronis True Image -> Uninstall.
- If you use Windows 10, click Start and select Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Acronis True Image -> Uninstall.
- If you used the Acronis Secure Zone, Acronis Nonstop Backup or Acronis Extended Capacity Manager, select in the window that appears what to do with the zone, Nonstop Backup storages or extended capacity disks. Then click Next to proceed with the uninstallation procedure.
If uninstallation fails, you can use Acronis Cleanup Utility (we recommend to have/create a full backup before using the Cleanup Utility).
If all steps above have been executed and the issue still persists, go to the error troubleshooting step.
Issue types by root causes and troubleshooting step
If installation of Acronis True Image fails, it will automatically offer you to view the MSI log (see Creating an MS Installer Log of Acronis Software). Based on the information in the error message, the MSI Log and Windows Event Logs you can determine the root cause of the problem. Generally installation errors can be divided into the following categories:
- Installation from the standard installer (.exe file) hangs at some step and installation cannot be completed
- Insufficient resources to proceed with the operation
- Another software blocks operation
- Another msiexec.exe operation is not completed
- Installation hangs on resolving system paths (i.e. access is denied)
- System drivers cannot be installed
- Older Acronis files cannot be replaced
- Issue in the installer
- Disable antivirus software, firewall and all other security software which could block the installation, see .
- Using Task Manager (Start -> Run -> taskmgr -> Processes -> Show processes from all users, review the list or currently running processes) make sure that no other msiexec.exe operation is running at the same time. If it is the case, wait for it's completion or stop the process manually to proceed with Acronis installation.
- Check in the %TEMP% folder for the recent installation log. If installation log shows there are some problems with SnapAPI drivers, please try to remove/install it manually (see 1620: Removing Acronis SnapAPI Drivers); contact Acronis Support to get actuall installation files if the issues is related to other Acronis drivers.
- Lockup issues can be caused by corrupt installer, hence make sure you downloaded the file completely and checked MD5 check sum.
- Generally, how to proceed with lockup issues, see in 45992: Acronis Software: Troubleshooting Application Lockups.
- If files of an older Acronis version cannot be removed correctly, use the Cleanup Utility.
Components missing after installation
- Installed Acronis product cannot be launched
- Product startup icon is missing
- Acronis Windows services missing or cannot start
- Installation is corrupt
- Some installation or configuration issue
- Antivirus software blocked some components
- It is possible that installation completed with errors, in this case try to repair installation or install from scratch.
- If product startup icon is missing and product cannot be launched, try to repair installation or install from scratch.
Rollback on initial installation
- Installation of Acronis product ends with rollback on initial attempt to install Acronis on a machine
- Software/hardware drivers incompatibility
- Installation is blocked by antivirus software, firewall etc.
- License issues
- Issues with components dependencies and other (Acronis) products
- User-related issues (insufficient rights, incorrect credentials etc.)
- Check if there are any installation related error messages in the Windows event logs
- Make exclusions to the antivirus software as described in .
Rollback on UpdateUpgrade installation
- Installation fails over already used (or not completely uninstalled) Acronis version with rollback
- Previous version installed incorrectly
- Previous version uninstalled incorrectly
- Upgrade over a very old version (older drivers or registry entries cannot be removed automatically, cleanup tool does not help)
- Operating system issues (Microsoft libraries missing or corrupt etc.)
- User-related issues (insufficient rights, incorrect credentials etc.)
- Try to repair previous version using Acronis installer and reinstall update/upgrade.
- Try to remove previous version using using standard procedure or Acronis Cleanup Utility (we recommend to have/create a full backup before using the Cleanup Utility).
- The best way to resolve Windows issues is to reinstall operating system, but check Acronis and Microsoft support first, if there any known related issues with solutions.
Installation fails with error
- Installation fails with an error message displayed.
- Acronis Services cannot be registered properly during installation
- The Windows Installer process has insufficient contiguous virtual memory to verify that the .msi package or the .msp package is correctly signed.
- An issue with your Windows operating system which is unable to install the redistributable components of C Runtime. For example, installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (or similar) will fail in the same way.
- During the installation, the Acronis Services have not been started/stopped in a timely fashion by the operating system.
- Check the quick solutions section.
- Proceed to collect information step.
- Uninstallation of Acronis True Image fails
- Failure on removing drivers, folders, files etc.
- Failure on unregistering modules
- Previous installation corrupt
- Installation package missing in operating system
- Access denied issues
- Try to uninstall everything from Acronis using Control panel in Windows.
- Use Acronis Cleanup Utility (we recommend to have/create a full backup before using the Cleanup Utility).
If the issue still persists, go to the collect information step and contact Acronis Customer Central.
Unsupported Operating System
- Installation fails with error 'Operating system is not supported'
- Acronis does not work properly after installation
- Wrong product purchased.
- Wrong installer downloaded.
- Operating system is not supported at all by the selected product.
- Make sure Acronis True Image supports your operating system. Check product documentation.
- Download the latest build from your account on Acronis website. See Downloading the Latest Build of Acronis Software.
If the issue still persists, go to the collect information step and contact Acronis Customer Central.
Application crashes during (un)installation
- .exe installer or msiexec.exe crash during installation
- Installer is broken
- Antivirus software blocks installation
- Operating system is not supported
- Issue in the product
- Make sure MD5 check sum of the installer is correct.
- Disable Firewall and Antivirus:
Acronis Software: Making Acronis Products Compatible with Third-Party Firewall Software
- Make sure the OS is supported.
- Extract installation files and try to install Acronis True Image from the MSI package.
- See this article to learn more about crashes: 45631: Acronis Software: Troubleshooting Application Crashes
Operating system crashes during (un)installation
- BSOD during (un)installation or machine reboots without visible BSOD
- Installing product on an unsupported operating system
- Operating system issues
- File system issues
- Hardware issues
- Driver incompatibility
- Make sure the operating system is supported.
- Install all Windows updates and patches.
- Check your machine for hardware, disk and file system issues using chhdsk /f /r command. In case some disk or file system errors cannot be fixed we cannot guarantee successful installation.
- If installation fails on installing any Acronis driver module, using newer driver version can be helpful, contact Acronis Customer central with reference to this article.
- Check if there is a known issue for the exact error code of BSOD. Check Acronis Knowledge Base, Microsoft Technet and other resources.
- Installation runs too slow
- Poor system resources or too much other processes on the machine are running at the same time
- A step in the installation proceeds is too slow (issue in the product)
- Stop all unneeded processes on your machine.
- Check hardware for disk issues.
- Using task manager make sure that only one installation process is running (Start -> Run -> taskmgr -> Processes -> Show processes from all users, review the list or currently running processes, msiexec.exe started under admin).
- Start installation again.
General troubleshooting steps
Go to Start -> Run -> eventvwr.msc. Navigate to Windows Logs and check Application and System sections for error messages related to the installation procedure. Search for solution in Microsoft Support articles.
Go to known issues part and check for known solutions. If issue is not listed in known issues and persists, proceed to the next step.
Check the MSI log for known issues. See Analyzing Installation Logs of Acronis Products Based on MSI Technology.
Collect Process Monitor Log and try to identify what is causing the installation error or problematic behavior.
If you cannot find a solution in KB articles and it is an installation over an older Acronis version, use Cleanup Utility in order to remove the previous version. Create Acronis bootable media and do a system backup before cleaning up (to make sure the system can be restored if something goes wrong) manually or using the Cleanup Utility.
Collect following information and contact Acronis Customer Central.
MSI Log and System report is mandatory on all installations occasions.
Alternatively check that installation log is included in the system report collected by the AcronisInfo Utility in the previous step.
Process Monitor Log
If the installation freezes, does not continue for a long time or it is not clear what is causing an error, collect Process Monitor log.
Western Digital Acronis Download
Installation can hang. In this case a dump of msiexec.exe must be created (if there are several processes with this name in task manager, every one of them should be dumped; it is preferable that a ProcDump utility is used to create the dump: see Creating Process Dumps with ProcDump).
If the installation leads to a complete system crash (reboot or BSOD) of system lockup, please collect full memory dump as described in Creating Windows Memory Dumps
Collect information with AcronisInfo Utility.
Usually issues during installation are caused by specific sequence of installed versions on your machine. If possible always provide information about previous versions.