Feb 22, 2021 • Filed to: Windows Computer Solutions • Proven solutions
- Disk Drill Data Recovery External Hard Drive
- How To Recovery Data From External Hard Disk
- Disk Drill External Hard Drive Recovery Free Software
- Disk Drill External Hard Drive Recovery Program
Is Disk Drill a free data recovery program? What does Disk Drill do? How to use disk drill recover deleted files? There are many questions like these about Disk Drill when you are hoping to restore your precious files with the program. This post will explain all the questions aboutDisk Drill free data recovery softwarefor Windows and Mac.
Part 1. What's Disk Drill？
Disk Drill is a freeware fordata recoverythat possesses a clean and easy to understand user interface, coupled with an efficient data recovery algorithm. This provides an easy way for users to scan the PC for lost, damaged, or corrupted files and preview them before undergoing the recovery process.
To recover a formatted external hard drive: Download and install Disk Drill. Connect your external hard drive and launch the application. Select the drive from the disk list.
External memory devices such as flash drives and SD cards can also be run through the Disk Drill for scanning and data recovery. Disk Drill is also able to pull out data from hard drives that have crashed. There are different scan options and scan capabilities that Disk Drill can do. A padlock symbol will appear next to the volume name. This will prevent the disk from being accessed by other apps during the recovery process. Click Search for lost data (or Rebuild) next to the volume you have just remounted. Wait for Disk Drill to finish scanning.
- It helpsretrieve lost files from partitionsthat have been formatted or have failed to mount.
- It can scanhard drives,partitionsthat have been deleted or lost. External memory devices such as flash drives and SD cards can also be run through the Disk Drill for scanning and data recovery.
- Disk Drill is also able to pull out data from hard drives that have crashed.
- There are different scan options and scan capabilities that Disk Drill can do. For scan options,quick and deep scanscan be made to look for lost, deleted, corrupted, or damaged files.
- Sorting and scanning by file type are also possible with Disk Drill.
Disk Drill is offered in 2 versions: Mac and Windows. These 2 versions are slightly different in data recovery.
Disk Drill for Windows
Like Disk Drill for Mac, the Windows version supports data scanning from various file systems, including NTFS/NTFS5, HFS/HFS+/HFSX, FAT/FAT32/exFAT, EXT3/EXT4 and more. It can recover data from formatted drive, too. However, Forensic features are missing in Disk Drill for Windows. Moreover, Disk Drill 4 for Windows allows users to recover up to 500MB data for free.
Disk Drill for Mac
Disk Drill for Mac can preview and recover protected data with all recovery methods. The deleted files can be labeled by metadata and previewed by thumbnails. iOS & Android Data Recovery are also supported in the Mac versions. However, in Deep Scan, only 300 file signatures can be scanned out, while 400 file signatures can be scanned in the Windows version.
Part 2. Is Disk Drill Safe?
So many features are listed to show what Disk Drill Data Recovery is. But the most important question should be 'Is it a safe program to use?' Yes, Disk Drill can be used torecover deleted or lost files on computer safely. We tested the Disk Drill on 3 computers, respectively Windows 10, Windows 7, and MacBook Pro. When running the software on the computers, it works normally without causing any harm to them and hard drive data.
During the test, we also checked the computer condition, especially in the virus and malware infection. And the anti-virus software told that everything went normally.
Aside from this, the software has a Recovery Fault feature that protects partitions and consequently the files saved from within these parts. This feature makes it easier to recover data should they become corrupted or deleted.
Part 3. Is Disk Drill Really Free
Disk Drill Data Recovery External Hard Drive
Disk Drill Free Data Recovery claims that it is free for all the users to get data back. However, is it free? The answer is no. Both available for Mac and Windows, Disk Drill Data Recovery has 3 pricing plans, namely basic, pro, and enterprise.
Disk Drill Basic
Usually, Disk Drill Basic is regarded as Disk Drill Free Data Recovery. It has different recovery limitations for Windows and Mac users. Disk Drill Free Data Recovery only supports Mac users toscan and preview files for free. What if you want to recover data on a Mac computer? You have no other choice but to purchase Disk Drill Pro for Mac.
However, Windows users of Disk Drill Basic can not only free scan and preview files but recover up to 500 MB data for free on a Windows computer.
Disk Drill Pro
Disk Drill Pro is the paid version of Disk Drill Basic. By purchasing the Pro version, you can remove the limits of data recovery in the free version and unlock more features, such as rebuilding HFS+, searching lost partitions.
How much does Disk Drill Pro for Mac cost? It is $89 for 1 user up to 3 Macs according to the Disk Drill website. You can also further upgrade it to the lifetime license by paying an extra 29 dollars.
Disk Drill Enterprise
The Enterprise version is the premium version of Disk Drill for business uses. It supports data recovery for up to 10 devices.
Part 4. Disk Drill Review After Test
After learning what Disk Drill is, let's have a snapshot of its advantages and disadvantages.
What We Like
- Disk Drill has a concise user interface that allows even beginners to use the program without hassle.
- It supports data recovery on multiple platforms — this means that Disk Drill is compatible with devices that run with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android operating systems.
- Support for multiple file types and file systems are available. Even obscure file types can be recognized by thisfile recovery software.
- Disk Drill has an impressive scanning speed. A partition with 500 GB can be run for only an hour using the deep scan function.
- Scans can be stopped, paused, and resumed at your convenience. The use of this software is flexible and easy because you take control of the scan time and schedule.
- The Recovery Vault, a very useful feature of Disk Drill, helps protect your data from total loss because it creates metadata that acts as an extended Recycle Bin for your device.
- It boasts more than file recovery — a full partition recovery is possible with Disk Drill.
What We Don't Like
- The file details aren’t effectively shown, so you do not get information about a file’s quality before recovery.
- Disk Drill only supports the preview and recovery of fewer than 400 types and formats of data, below the average.
- There is no portable version for Disk Drill. Installation of the software is required before you can run it and recover files. This increases the risk of file overwriting, thereby losing the data permanently.
- There is only a 500 MB of file limit for recovery in the free version. This means that you might not be able to retrieve all the files you need, especially if they come in a video format.
- Some users find bugs like difficulty startup of the software, and some incidences report app crashing.
- Some users also complained about staff support because it takes quite a while for them to respond to queries.
Part 5. How to Use Disk Drill Data Recovery?
To use Disk Drill, you would need to install the software first on your computer and run it accordingly, since there is no portable version of this. Here are the steps in recovering lost data using Disk Drill.
Step 1Download Disk Drill from their website and install the program by following the instructions.
Step 2Run Disk Drill once it finishes installing in your PC. This will show you all of the drives found in the computer system.
Step 3Choose the specific driver that contains the lost files and click the 'Recover' button.
Step 4After the scan is completed, the window will show all the recoverable files found in that drive.
Step 5Sort through them and review the files that you need to retrieve. You can also opt to recover all files by checking boxes to ensure that no lost or deleted file is missed.
Step 6Wait for the recovery task to finish!
There is no other way to see if Disk Drill works than to try it by yourself. To recover files and ensure that you don’t suffer from crippling data loss, avail of the services offered by Disk Drill. If you want another alternative software that does data recovery efficiently, you may also tryRecoverit Free Data Recovery, also available as a freeware and power-packed unlike most other data recovery software out there. What we most like is that Recoverit supports to recover more than 1000 types and formats of data from all devices.
Free Recover Data
- Top Recovery Freeware
- Top Recovery Solutions
Deleted data does not leave your PC without a trace. Missing files can be saved with special software. To significantly increase your chances to get your documents and photos back, you should minimize your further activities, i.e. do not install new software and save anything to the disk. If you overwrite something, the recovery will be impossible. For the same reason, you cannot recover files to the same media where they were initially.
How To Recovery Data From External Hard Disk
Disk Drill Hard Drive Recovery Software is one of the best and most reliable data recovery utilities that allows you to recover a huge amount of data and protect your existing data from most emergency situations. In addition, on the official website, you can get any help in questions related to the software. And you don’t just go to the FAQ section or get an answer in a live chat from a robot – there’s live customer support on the site, ready to answer all of your questions!
Disk Drill is a great recovery utility that can be downloaded for free (Basic version can be used for 7 seven days). This program finds and returns images, text documents, audio files from flash drives, hard drives, and memory cards. Disk Drill can be used in case of simple mistakes, as well as in case of accidental formatting, viruses, system corruption, etc. There are versions for Windows and macOS.
Disk Drill Features
The utility can do a lot and has the following features:
- All existing modern file system support;
- Three modes of data recovery: Undelete, Quick Scan, and Deep Scan;
- Data recovery on formatted media;
- Supports hard drives, USB drives, memory cards, external HDD/SDD, etc;
- Deep Scan works even with damaged or missing file systems.
Disk Drill Recovery Modes
The utility offers three recovery modes:
- Undelete – this mode cancels deletion of files previously protected with Recovery Vault;
- Quick Scan – quick search for deleted files;
- Deep Scan – applied in case Quick Scan did not bring the desired result.
You might wonder about file systems that Disk Drill works with. The list is also quite extensive and includes all current file systems – HFS/HFS+, FAT16/FAT32, NTFS, EXT3, EXT4, and others. A distinctive feature of the application is the ability to recover files even on formatted media.
Disk Drill Versions
There are several versions of Disk Drill at different prices and with different functionality:
- Drill Disk Basic (free) – cannot recover files. The demo version of the product allows you to test the functionality of the program to a limited extent.
- Disk Drill Pro ($89) is a full-featured version of the program. It costs $89 but there are three types of discounts available (past version upgrade (50%); non-profit, educative & gov (20%); and competitive upgrade (50%)). The prices may be high but eventually, it’s all about the importance of your files.
- Drill Disk Enterprise ($499) is a corporate version for an unlimited number of users and computers. It’s ideal for startups and large campaigns.
- Disk Drill Media Recovery ($39.99) is a limited version distributed through the App Store. Due to Apple’s strict policy, the program can’t get full access to hard drive partitions and, as a result, the Recovery Vault system doesn’t work. Files and folders can be recovered, though, with no problems.
This program supports most types of disks, files, and file systems. With its help, you can recover erased files using the Recovery Protection function, as well as find duplicate files and clean the disk. However, the Basic version does not allow recovering files lost before installing Disk Drill.
Disk Drill Basic allows you to scan all the media connected to your computer, and a preview function will help you make sure that the files you need are available for recovery. If, however, you inadvertently deleted one or more files and folders that could not be deleted in any way, you want to go to the Recovery tab.
How To Recover Lost Files on Android With Disk Drill?
First, obviously, you need to download and install the utility on your computer. Then connect your smartphone to it, and Disk Drill will scan it and find all filers that can be recovered.
On the main screen, you need to choose the desired drive, e.g. Linux File-CD. Start scanning. If the files were lost recently, all you need to do is use Quick Scan. Alternatively, Deep Scan takes longer but is able to find files that were deleted a long time ago.
When the recovery utility finishes scanning, all found files will be displayed on the screen. They will be given random names, so to find the right file, you will have to sort them by size or type. The Zoom icon will help you browse through the chosen files.
Disk Drill will not only help you to recover your data – the utility also contains useful tools for working with your hard drive, which will help you “clean up” your Mac, find duplicate files, create backups, and monitor the state of your drive. By downloading Disk Drill, you get comprehensive protection for your entire drive. You will be able to scan and recover data from any device, including Mac, HDD/SSD, external hard drives, digital cameras, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Kindle, and SD/CF cards. In many cases, Disk Drill will scan your device, even if it’s unstable, unreadable, or has damaged sections. Using powerful algorithms, Disk Drill provides reliable data recovery.
Disk Drill External Hard Drive Recovery Free Software
How Do I Recover Data on Mac OS X With Disk Drill?
Want to recover deleted files on Mac OS X, e.g. important business documents, music, photos, or videos? Need files or entire folders? Do you have problems accessing a USB drive or memory card? Disk Drill knows how to recover data on Mac OS X is the fastest and easiest way.
Just one click launches a powerful scanning process that shows you a list of files to recover. With a preview function, you can easily determine which file will be successfully recovered. If you use data protection features, some of the file recovery methods on your Mac are free. If not, just a small update will allow you to recover deleted files and continue your work.
Is your hard drive or memory card suddenly no longer detected or looks empty? This may be due to a damaged section. Your data may still be there but the “map,” required by the system to locate the data, may be lost. Disk Drill will repair damaged sections and return your data if it’s still there. All plug-in devices are supported. Depending on the file system type, different data recovery algorithms are used. Even if the device has been formatted, the data can still be recovered!
Once you have installed Disk Drill on your Mac, start the program and go to Data Protection. Here you should enable the Recovery Vault mode on all your media, and you can forget about problems. The utility will inform you about the successful indexing of information on the media with the Growl pop-up message. Now the program closely watches your actions in the system and saves service records about each remote file in the program storage. As soon as you need to recover a file, you will need to upgrade Disk Drill to the Pro version. The program will take just a few minutes to recover the file.
Disk Drill is definitely the best tool for data recovery in terms of reliability, allowing to recover a huge amount of information and protect existing data from most emergency situations. The only disadvantage is the price but this is subjective – in the end, it all depends on how valuable the files at stake are.
Disk Drill External Hard Drive Recovery Program
arrangement of computer storage drives -DepositPhotos