There’s a lot of great content available via a slew of apps on an Amazon Fire TV Stick. The device also offers a few quick and easy ways to mirror or stream content from your PC. Be it to share a slide show of photos, or to watch locally stored movies and TV shows on a bigger screen, there are many reasons why this is a very useful feature. Here’s how to stream from a PC to an Amazon Firestick!
Stream from a Windows 10 PC to a Firestick
There are a few things you’ll need to check before you can stream from a PC to a Firestick on Windows 10. Before getting started, make sure that the Firestick is set up properly and that your PC and Firestick are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Press and hold the home button until a menu pops up on the screen.
- Select Mirroring. You will now see a message that says “While this screen is open, guest devices can wireless mirror their display to: (name)’s Fire Stick.”
- On your Windows 10 PC, open the Notifications section by clicking on the text message icon at the bottom right of the screen (it could also be empty if you have no notifications).
- Click on Connect. You should see your Firestick listed if both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Click on the Firestick listed and it should connect. You should now see your PC screen mirrored on the TV that the Firestick is plugged into.
While the Amazon Fire TV Stick is one of the most used devices for streaming videos. Its always better to view photos on a bigger screen. For this, you need to install Google Photos on FireStick. But the Google Photos apps aren’t available officially on the Amazon App Store. So that you have to sideload Google Photos on Fire TV Stick. I purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (with the included Alexa Voice Remote) a few days ago. I installed it into an HDMI socket in my Vizio 4K TV, and it works well with the Vizio soundbar that is connected to the TV with digital optical. Download Amazon Photos for iPhone or Android, install it, and begin uploading photos. Once you've uploaded some photos to Amazon Photos, open the settings menu on your Fire TV. Open Preferences. The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a portable streaming device that can give you access to thousands of movies and TV shows. Most Amazon Fire TV models are currently on sale on Amazon with Black Friday.
- Duplicate — This is the default projection mode and basically mirrors everything that’s happening on your PC. This is ideal if you want to share something on a larger screen but won’t need to use the PC. By default, Windows 10 also silences any notifications so they don’t pop up while your sharing something.
- Extended — This enables using the Firestick and your TV as a second screen. It’s the better option if you’re looking to stream from a PC to a Firestick while using the former.
- Second screen only — This mode lets you use the larger screen as the primary display.
To exit display mirroring, you can simply press any button on the Firestick remote. Keep in mind though that accidental presses will cause this mode to end as well, and you’ll have to go through the pairing process all over again.
Stream from a Mac to a Firestick
There’s no direct way to mirror your PC or stream content from a Mac to a Firestick. There are a few apps available on the Firestick that take advantage of Airplay technology to allow screen mirroring. We’ll be using AirPlayMirror Receiver as an example.
- Find the app on the Firestick app store. Go to the Search section and type Airplay. Click on the corresponding result and you’ll see a list of apps that support it.
- Find and click on AirPlay Mirror Receiver. Click on Get to download the app.
- You will have to keep the app open to stream from a Mac.
- On the Mac, go to System Preferences.
- Select Displays.
- Select “Show mirroring options in the menu when available.”
- The Airplay icon will now appear in the menu bar.
- Open it and select your Firestick device.
The AirPlay Mirror Receiver comes with a 15-minute free trial so you can see whether it works for you. If you decide to buy it, it is priced at $4.99. AirbeamTV is another option. You will need to download an app for the Mac as well though, along with the Fire TV app. You also get a free trial here to make sure that the apps are compatible with your devices. After it ends, you will need to buy the app for $9.99.
Stream from a PC to a Firestick using Plex
Plex provides a simple way to stream content that is locally stored on your PC across all your devices. You can easily access videos and photos on smartphones, tablets, and video streaming devices, including the Amazon Firestick.
- Install the app on the Firestick (you can find it using the Search function).
- Sign in with your Plex account.
- Ensure that the device (your PC) with the home media server is on.
- You should now be able to access all your content on the Firestick.
The free version of Plex works really well. However, to get the most out of Plex, you should also consider signing up for Plex Pass. It offers a slew of features like enhanced audio features, access to live TV, offline access on mobile devices, the ability to add multiple users, the option to enable parental controls, and a lot more.
That’s it for this quick look at some of the ways you can mirror or stream from a PC to an Amazon Firestick!
Amazon Fire TV Stick is a wonderful device. It allows you to convert your age-old TV set into a smart TV with streaming services such as Prime, Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, and more. The streaming stick is also useful for frequent travelers (not in 2020). It can be your perfect entertainment companion during the holidays. If your Fire TV Stick is acting up randomly or giving troubles in general navigation, it’s time to free up space on the device using uninstalling apps.
Every media and telecom company out there is gearing up to enter the lucrative video streaming market. The Fire TV App Store is already filled with dozens of such apps and services. On top of that, it also includes a section of games to enjoy on a big screen. You can see how easy it is to fill up the base storage on Fire TV Stick.
Fire TV Stick 4K (Amazon’s most-popular offering) comes with 8GB of storage to being with. It may sound like good enough on paper, but out of 8GB, the system and default apps already take around 2.5GB storage, and over time, the installed apps collect data and cache and leave you with few MBs to manage on the device.
This post will cover how to delete apps on Fire TV Stick and how to manage the base storage smartly and efficiently for smooth Fire TV Stick operations.
Also on Guiding Tech
A Complete Guide to Fixing Fire TV Stick Remote Not Working IssueRead More
Why You Should Uninstall Apps from Fire TV Stick
Besides sluggish performance, there are a couple of more reasons to delete apps from Fire TV Stick.
- You no longer have an active subscription to some of the installed apps on Fire TV Stick.
- You no longer play games on Fire TV Stick.
- You only have a few MBs left on the device.
- You are getting unnecessary errors while playing movies and videos on some of the streaming services.
How to Uninstall Apps on Fire TV Stick
If you're experiencing issues with your Fire TV Stick or have a ton of apps you've downloaded and no longer use (or never used), you can delete those apps to free up space following the steps below.
Step 1: Turn on the Fire TV Stick.
Step 2: Select Settings in the top menu (you may have to scroll to the right to get to this option).
Step 3: In Settings press the Down button on the remote and then scroll to and select Applications.
Step 4: In the Applications menu, select Manage Installed Applications. When you select this item, you'll be able to see how much internal storage space you have used and how much you have available.
Step 5: Select Manage Installed Applications.
Step 6: Scroll through the list of installed apps on your device to find the one you want to uninstall.
Step 7: Select the irrelevant app, and then select Uninstall from the following menu.
Step 8: Fire TV Stick will ask to confirm the decision. Click Uninstall, and the app will be removed from your device.
Uninstall Apps Using File Manager
There are ways to sideload Android apps to the Fire TV Stick. You can install apps such as ES File Explorer, File Commander, and X-plore File Manager and use these apps to remove programs on the device.
There are a couple of advantages of using a file manager than the default method to remove apps. You can delete multiple apps at one time, and you may even be able to recover apps that you didn't intend to delete.
However, I will still recommend the official (and easiest) way to uninstall apps on the Fire TV stick.
Also on Guiding Tech
Top 7 Fixes for Fire TV Stick Audio Delay IssuesRead More
How to Install Apps on Fire TV Stick
If you plan to subscribe to the uninstalled video streaming apps again, you need to download them from the Amazon App Store. Follow the steps to install apps on Fire TV Stick.
Step 1: Turn on the Fire TV Stick.
Step 2: Scroll to Apps from the above menu.
Step 3: By default, you will see Featured apps on the home screen. You can either go to the Games menu or use Categories to find the relevant app.
Step 4: Open the app and select the Download option to install it on the device.
Clear App Cache
You don’t need to uninstall apps every time because you are experiencing video playback error or account authentication problem on Fire TV Stick. You can try clearing the app cache that irons out problems related to the app and even free up the storage space for you. Go through the steps below to clear the app cache on Fire TV Stick.
Step 1: Turn on the Fire TV Stick and select Settings in the top menu (you may have to scroll to the right to get to this option).
Step 2: In Settings press the Down button on the remote and then scroll to and select Applications.
Step 3: In the Applications menu, select Manage Installed Applications. Select the app, and it will offer to clear the cache. You will see how much cache it will remove from the app.
Photos On Firestick
Also on Guiding Tech
#Fire TV Stick
Fire Stick Amazon PhotoshopClick here to see our Fire TV Stick articles page
Enjoy a Smooth Fire TV Stick Experience
We make sure to remove irrelevant apps and temporary files for glitch-free navigation on our smartphones and PC. We should follow the same routine on the Fire TV Stick as well. Go through the steps above and make space on the Fire TV Stick.
Next up:Is your Fire TV Stick consuming too much data? Read the post below to learn how to reduce Fire TV Stick Data usage.
The above article may contain affiliate links which help support Guiding Tech. However, it does not affect our editorial integrity. The content remains unbiased and authentic.
9 Best Ways to Fix Amazon Fire TV Stick Black Screen
Learn how to fix