Portable version This is the portable version of the application. An installable version is also available: XAMPP runs on: Windows 10 64 bit Windows Server 2012. In this video tutorial, I will show you how to install XAMPP on Windows 10. XAMPP is a free and open-source cross-platform web server solution. XAMPP lite is stripped down, no Perl Standard XAMMP 1.7.3 can also be installed as portable, its a choice in the Setup. (no drive letters can't run Apache, MySql as services) Good Luck. JonB - The Server Geek Check out The Excruciatingly Correct Guide.
One of the fastest and best way to get a PHP server environment up and going is to use XAMPP. What is XAMPP you say?
Put together by the folks at Apache Friends, XAMPP is an installer package containing the Apache Web Server, MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP takes away the hassle and headache of installing and configuring each of the parts individually. But best of all – It FREE!
XAMPP is currently available in 4 distribution packages, but the one this post will cover is XAMPP for Windows.
XAMPP for Windows is available in standard full edition, or a ‘lite’ version. Since we only need the bare necessities to get a PHP environment going, we’re just going to focus on installing the XAMPP Lite version for Windows onto a portable storage device. Frankly, the full edition includes a bunch of stuff you probably won’t need yet, whilst you’re picking up PHP.
By putting XAMPP onto a portable storage device, like a thumbdrive, or a portable HDD, will make the whole environment portable. You can take it anyway with you and plug it into any Windows PC/Notebook and you can carry on where you left off. It’s great for those of you who have more than one PC/Notebook, which you use regularly.
You can of course, choose to install a XAMPP with the installer version. You can find out how to do it by following the ‘Installation with Installer‘ guide at the XAMPP website.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
1. Go grab a copy of XAMPP Lite from Apache Friends.
- Visit http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html and click the link as shown below.
- You’ll need to choose the option for ZIP.
- The EXE version is an executable installer which will install XAMPP Lite on your PC/Notebook. XAMPP will not be portable if you use the EXE version to install.
2. Installing your XAMPP Lite
- While XAMPP is downloading, go and prepare your portable storage. In my case, my portable HDD is identified as F: drive. I intend to put my XAMPP Lite into the F: root folder.
- Once downloaded, open the ZIP archive into a folder of your choice on your portable storage device. In my case, I would just extract to the F:.
- Once extracted, there should be an ‘xampplite’ folder where you have specified as your destination folder path.
- In my case, it would have unpacked into the F: and created a ‘xampplite’ folder (F:xampplite)
3. Setup the XAMPP Lite.
- Run the setup_xampp.bat file.
- This will configure all the necessary setting and filepaths automatically. Press any key to continue after that.
4. Starting XAMPP Lite
- Run the ‘xampp_start.exe’ file.
- This screen will appear, to show you that Apache and MySQL are running.
- Open your browser, and type ‘http://localhost/’ into the address bar.
- After choosing your language of choice, you’ll end up on this page.
- Well done, you’ve successfully got your XAMPP Lite going…
5. Stopping and Restarting XAMPP Lite
- To stop XAMPP Lite, double-click the ‘xampp_stop.exe’ file to stop the server running.
- Sometimes, you might need to stop and start XAMPP, use the ‘xampp_restart.exe’ if you need to restart your server. Normally, this is required after configuration changes.
Well, that’s it. Hopefully you managed to successfully get your XAMPP environment going. I’ll post more articles later on how to use the XAMPP environment.
First download the file xampplite-win32-1.7.2.exe from Apache Friends website. The exe file is about 28 MB in size.The version number may have changed now.
After the download is complete click on the file specify the installation directory. It has to be a root directory for a portable installation (In my case here it is K:) . Then click on the install button and the installation process for xampplite starts as shown below.
Configuring XAMPP Lite - Setting The Paths
After the installation is complete, if you had used the exe file for your installation (There is also a zip file available which you can simply unzip into a root directory) the file setup_xampp.bat, located in the folder xampp (In my case K:xampplite) runs automatically.
The first configuration Screen will ask you the question Should I add shortcuts to the startmenu/desktop? (y/n): Answer n
Next screen will display: Should I locate the XAMPP paths correctly?
Should I proceed? (y/x=exit setup): Answer y to this question
Xampp Like Software
Making XAMPP Lite Installation portable
Xampp Lite Download For Windows 10
If we wish to make a portable installation we have to answer y to the next question.This is extremely important. You should use drive letters, if you want use services. With USB sticks you must not use drive letters.
Should I make a portable XAMPP without drive letters?
Your choice? (y/n): y
XAMPPLite Installations – Setting the Paths
The paths are now set for the installation. After the paths are set the default time zone will be set and then we will come to the finalinstallation screen.
Completing The Install and Exiting
Xampp Lite Php
The final screen that is displayed is as follows:
1. start XAMPP Control Panel
2. relocate XAMPP
(current path: xampplite)
3. disable HTTPS (SSL)
4. disable Server Side Includes (SSI)
5. enable IPv4 only (current: IPv4/6 (auto))
Please choose (1-5/x): x
Here enter x and exit the installation. Your installation is now complete.